This is another quick & easy dish, as long as you have some ready stock on hand. I usually prepare a big pot of stock (my favorite is ikan bilis or anchovies with small dried scallops), freeze them in small tubs and defrost the required portion whenever I need it. You can use the stock for soups, porridge or even add a little to stir-fry dishes (far better than adding MSG).
(makes 4 tubs of approximately 350ml each)
1 cup of ikan bilis (rinsed)
1/4 cup of small dried scallops (rinsed)
1.7 litre water
3 to 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
3 to 4 slices of ginger
1) Heat a little oil in pot and add ginger and garlic.
2) Add ikan bilis and scallops to pot and stir fry to release aroma. This step also helps to remove the fishy smell in ikan bilis.
3) Add water and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
4) Once cool, pour the stock in small tubs and store in freezer.
Ingredients for sliced fish soup
Fish slices (I use batang fish)
Green leafy vegetables or lettuce
1 tub of stock + extra water to make one big bowl soup
Spring onion (cut into 1 inch) for garnish
Salt to taste
Salt to taste
1) Marinate fish with 1 tbsp oil, 1/3 tsp salt, 2 tbsp water, pepper for at least 30 minutes.
2) Boil stock and water in pot.
3) When soup starts boiling, add vegetables and season with salt (not too much as the fish is marinated with a little salt).
4) Just before off heat, add fish slices, give it a stir to ensure fish slices do not stick to each other and off heat. This step takes less than a minute, so that your fish slices will be tender.
5) Add spring onion and serve.